What is sitemap?
A sitemap.xml is a file which you use to communicate about the pages , paths , tags, posts, etc on your blog/website to webmaster tools like Google search console, Bing webmaster tools.
Why sitemaps are important ?
- An xml sitemap helps Search bots like Google bot to recognize the pages and all other url’s associated with your blog/ Website.
- Your web pages appear in search results faster.
- Search engines index your pages faster.
- Improves overall traffic.
How to generate xml sitemaps
Sitemap generator tools are easily available online. You can generate sitemaps for google , or any other webmaster tools without any difficulties
- Go to xmlsitemaps.com
- type in your Domain/URL
- click start
- view sitemap details
- download sitemap.xml
There is a better method for WordPress users listed below
Automate sitemap with Yost Seo plugin for wordpress
Creating a sitemap is easy.But the file you once created will go outdated when you add new pages/post to your blog or website. But what if there is a better way to generate sitemaps and updates the sitemap with Google search console every time you create new post or pages, automatically ?
Yes you can automate sitemap updating process with Yost
Yost seo plugin for wordpress will automatically update sitemap.xml file with new urls whenever you post a new content so that Google crawl and index your pages much faster. To install Yost plugin head over to Yost wordpress seo plugin
How yost seo plugin is helpful ?
- The yost seo plugin helps you with on page seo.
- once you linked your Google search console with yost , the plugin will update the sitemap file uploaded to Search console everytime you update content on your blog.
- And so much more seo tools to help you.
That’s it you have created xml sitemap for google, Bing or whichever you would like to.
Share this content with those who need it.
Also checkout my how to start a blog easily guide.